We when think of Peter Cottontail traveling down the bunny trail, he often has a basket filled with chocolate bunnies, marshmallow chicks and sticky-sweet jelly bean filled eggs. Much like Halloween, Easter has become a holiday associated with sugary candy filled with calories, unhealthy fats and lots of sugar.
This year, work to find a balance between the traditional basket and one that is healthier, but still fun. It’s important to be realistic. Just because the kiddos are excited about the Easter bunny doesn’t mean they want to eat like one. That’s why we’ve teamed up with the bunny himself to provide you with some great tips to creating an Easter basket that is sure to please.
We’re not taking the fun out of the basket, just making a few healthier choices.
- Dried Fruits: Banana chips, dried pineapple slices, dried mango pieces and more are naturally sweet treats that satisfy the sweet tooth without the packed on sugars.
- Nut Butter & Fruit: While the bunny may enjoy a carrot or two, sub in apple slices and a banana or two for your kids to enjoy with their favorite nut butter. A personal favorite is an all-natural almond butter, which provides healthy fiber and added protein.
- Chocolate Covered Fruit: For those chocolate cravings, try subbing the chocolate critters for dark chocolate cover fruits.
Just because you’ve reduced the candy, doesn’t mean you have to reduce the fun! Try a theme based on your child’s interests to fill their basket with fun treats, rather than the usual sugar and saturated fat-filled candies.
- Outdoor Fun: bubbles, sidewalk chalk, jump rope
- The Beach Bum: sunglasses, flip flops, swim suit, beach towel
- The Gardener: garden gloves, vegetable and flower seeds, shovel, watering can
- The Book Worm: books, blanket, mug, tea bags
- The Sports Enthusiast: water bottle, ball cap, t-shirt of favorite team
- The Girlie Girl: nail polish, lip gloss, scented lotion, hair accessories
- The Artist: coloring books, sketch pad, crayons, markers
If you’re still looking for ways to add activity to your basket here are some simple ideas.
- Crayons and markers
- Stamps and stickers
- Hair accessories (barrettes, bows, colorful clips)
- Water balloons
- Bath fizzy
- Pool toy
- Play dough
- Swimming goggles
- Gift cards or gift certificates
- Funky, colorful socks