As the holiday weekend approaches, it’s important to remember that this Fourth of July, like many other things, will look different due to the ongoing threat of COVID-19 especially if you are pregnant. Independence Day is traditionally filled with pool parties, fireworks and barbecues, this year it should also be filled with masks, hand washing and social distancing.
Here are some tips and tricks for pregnant mommas to ensure your holiday weekend is safe and healthy for both you and your baby!
Pregnant women should remain vigilant and take the following precautions to protect themselves against COVID-19:
- Wear a mask in public.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Limit interactions with other people as much as possible.
- If you are in your last two weeks of your pregnancy, stay at home away from others.
It is also very important to remember these general safety measures for beating the summer heat:
- Stay hydrated.
- Apply Sunscreen and reapply every two hours.
- Wear a hat to reduce sun exposure.
- Avoid raw meat and foods that can spoil easily in the heat.
- Listen to your body, and rest when needed.
- Plan some indoor activities to give yourself a break from the heat.
These extra precautions will keep you safe for the holiday weekend and beyond.
Author: Angela Hammett, Pregnancy Nurse Navigator