Lindsey’s Sisterhood Story

Lindsey’s Sisterhood Story

My name is Lindsey, and I was diagnosed with stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma in December 2018. I was 33 years old. I have no family history, so it was quite the shocker. I went in to have what I thought was a cyst checked out. My wonderful gynecologist, Dr. Lafranca, sent me down to the diagnostic imaging center to get a picture of what was going on.

The imaging team was so caring. They could see the concern on my face. The tech that did my mammogram even came and gave me a hug. I was a little scared after seeing the ultrasound of what looked like Mt. Everest on the screen. They ordered the biopsy, and I was scheduled with Dr. Hailey as my breast doctor. I was informed of my cancer the Friday before Christmas. Dr. Hailey came in the next morning to meet with me and my husband. I was so surprised he was going to see me the day before Christmas Eve, but I’m so glad he did. He explained every detail he knew so far about my cancer and what was to come.

Dr. Hailey referred me to Dr. Spell at Mary Bird Perkins-Our Lady of the Lake Cancer Center. This two men make a great team! Dr. Spell wasted no time getting me on a treatment plan. I was to do six months of chemo, a lumpectomy, and six weeks of radiation. I was at Mary Bird when I first started chemo, but soon after I was able to start getting my treatments at Woman’s at the new Breast and GYN Cancer Pavilion. I was super excited, because I love Woman’s Hospital. Heck, I was born there (at the old one of course)! It was nice seeing all the familiar faces from Mary Bird. It was comforting knowing that the other patients knew what I was going through. It’s definitely a sisterhood. I have met some great and strong women through all of this. My cousin was actually diagnosed about two weeks after me, so we have been a support for each other.

I finished chemo at the end of June. I ended up having a complete pathological response to the chemo. I can’t even explain the relief knowing the cancer is gone! The radiology nurses celebrated with me when the ultrasound showed no tumor. I even met the charge nurse, who is a breast cancer survivor. She gave me such encouragement. My lumpectomy went well, and I was so well taken care of. I started radiation in August and am currently on my 5th week. Dr. Levine is great. The technology is really amazing. My next step is a medicine called tamoxifen for 5 years. This has been a whirlwind of year. I had to face my biggest fear head on. I will forever remember that day my world changed forever. I am so blessed to have been one of the first patients at the new Woman’s facility. It has been a great experience despite the circumstances. Every day I walk through those doors I am greeted by the wonderful Mrs. Dee! She is a ray of sunshine. I think I may miss visiting so frequently.

I am now part of a sisterhood!