If you’re traveling for the holidays, that means you’ll probably spend a long time sitting in the car or on an airplane. Get moving with these these travel workouts from the trainers at Woman’s Center for Wellness.
30 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of rest. Repeat 3 times then move to the next exercise.
- Seal Jacks: Stand with feet together, hands together with arms straight out in front at chest level. Quickly jump feet apart while moving arms horizontally to shoulder level, squeezing shoulder blades. Quickly jump back to the starting position.
- Mountain Climber Push-ups: Start in a plank position with hands elevated on the edge of a stable bed, couch, table, etc. Perform 2 – 4 mountain climber steps on each leg then perform a push up.
- Superman Pull-ups: Start in a face-down lying position, dig toes into the ground, squeeze glutes, chest slightly lifted off the ground. With arms extended in a Y position, actively squeeze the shoulder blades back and down towards the hips while pulling the arms to a W position. Extend the arms back over head returning to the Y position.
- Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat (R): Stand in front of a stable low couch, bench, or chair and place the top of your left foot on the edge. Kneel down so your left knee is on the ground and your knee hip and shoulder is lined up. With your right knee bent slightly greater than 90 degrees, push through your right heel to stand. Lower yourself back down but not completely to the ground.
- Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat (L): Do as instructed for the previous exercise, only with the left foot forward and right foot back.
- Hollow Body Pumps: Lie on your back with your legs straight, knees together, and your arms by your sides pressed into the ground. Focus on drawing your belly button in towards your spine and pressing your lower back down into the floor. Contract your abs to lift your head and shoulders and a few inches off the floor. Keeping your knees together, lift your legs a few inches off the floor. This is your starting position. From here, keeping your core engaged, bring your knees in right above your belly button. Return to the starting position.
20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat for 1 minute before moving on to the next exercise.
- Push-ups: Begin in a kneeling position on the floor with hands under shoulders and knees behind hips and back straight. Tuck toes under, tighten abdominals, and bend elbows to lower chest toward the floor. Press chest back upto start position. Repeat.
- Single-leg hip thrust (R): Place your back against a bench or step, with right knee bent and that foot flat on the floor. Raise your other leg and bend your knee so that your hip and knee form 90-degree angles. Place the back of your elbows against the bench. Pushing your knees out, squeeze your glutes and raise your hips until they’re in line with your torso. Lower back down the starting position.
- Single-leg hip thrust (L): As instructed for the previous exercise, only with the left foot down and right foot up.
- Reverse lunge to front kick (R): Step back with your right foot and lower until your knee is slightly above the ground. Squeeze your glutes as you push down through your left heel and kick your right leg in front of you as you straighten your left leg.
- Reverse lunge to front kick (L): As instructed for the previous exercise, only stepping back with the left foot.
That’s one round. Repeat up to 4 times for a 20-minute workout.