With summer just around the corner, we all want to bask in the sunshine. But before you head to the beach, or even just your backyard, follow these tips.
1) Wear sunscreen. This one might seem like a no-brainer, but read ahead to #2!
2) Buy a sunscreen that you’ll actually wear. If you hate wearing sunscreen (and tend to skip putting it on), then you might just need to try a different one. One brand might feel too greasy. One might feel too drying. Another might give your skin a white cast. Read product reviews to find one that’s just right. Once you find “the one,” it won’t feel like a chore to incorporate sunscreen into your daily routine.
3) Check your sunscreen’s expiration date. Sunscreen without an expiration date has a shelf life of no more than three years, but its shelf life is shorter if it has been exposed to high temperatures. But if you’re wearing sunscreen as often as you should, the bottle should be empty long before the expiration date!
4) Don’t forget your feet! Feet are highly susceptible to melanoma. Be sure to apply sunscreen to your feet before going outside. Also, check your feet (including toenails and soles) regularly for moles and freckles.
5) Schedule an annual skin cancer screening. While you should be familiar with your body and be aware of any skin changes, it’s a good idea to get checked by a professional.
6) Fake bake. Forget laying out for hours to get a tan. Spray tan solutions available today can give you a glow without the sun damage. In fact, many people find that they can achieve a deeper tan through a spray tan than they ever could by laying in the sun or tanning bed. Spray tans are available at Woman’s Center for Wellness. We use one of the best solutions on the market – Norvell – to produce a deep, long-lasting tan without that dreaded orange look. To schedule an appointment, call 924-8388.