Hurricane season is upon us, and pregnant women should take extra precautions to ensure their health and safety during a storm.
While making an emergency plan and knowing what to pack are great steps to being prepared, there are some simple tips to follow.
- Plan an alternate birth location in case of evacuation or problems with road travel.
- Have phone numbers and locations of local obstetricians in case you cannot reach your regular health care provider.
- If you choose to evacuate, have a paper copy of all medical documents, including prenatal care, immunizations and medications.
- Should you evacuate or go to a shelter, immediately notify necessary personnel that you are pregnant and gather information regarding local hospitals in the area.
- Take action to reduce stress, which is a major factor in preterm labor. By planning and preparing early, you can help reduce unnecessary stress.
- Create a family communication plan so everyone knows what needs to be done before, during and after the storm.
For additional information, click here.