I’m Brooke, a dietitian with Woman’s Hospital. Today’s recipe can be enjoyed by everyone; however, it was modified to meet the unique needs of someone who has undergone weight loss surgery. It is lower in carbohydrates and fat than the traditional version, and it also contains a lean source of protein.
Did you know about our weight loss surgery support group? Please join us at our monthly support group at Woman’s. This month’s support group will be held on Wednesday, May 11 in Woman’s Hospital conference room 4 from 6:00 – 7:30 PM. We will discuss negative self-talk and making a positive change followed by open group discussion.
Enjoy the recipe and we hope to see you at the support group
1 lb. ground chicken breast
¼ cup grated Parmesan
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
Salt and pepper
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
½ cup lower sodium marinara sauce
Crushed red pepper flakes
4 or 5 basil leaves
2 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl combine the ground chicken with ¼ cup parmesan, ¼ cup mozzarella, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon oregano.
- Mound the chicken mixture onto the parchment and pat into flat rectangle or disc. Cover with plastic wrap and evenly press or roll the chicken into a 7×10″ rectangle or round. Remove the plastic wrap and roast until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread sauce over crust.
- Top remaining mozzarella. Spread tomato slices and basil evenly over top. Sprinkle on crushed red pepper flakes.
- Return to oven and cook until melted and bubbly, ~5-10 minutes.