Wild Rice, Pomegranate & Kale Salad
If you’re looking for a perfect seasonal salad to give your guests some relief from the heavy holiday dishes, roasted pomegranate seeds, wild rice and toasted pistachios with maple-shallot dressing is a dressy way to give your greens some holiday cheer – and its vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 ½ cups fresh pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup chopped pistachios, toasted
- 6 cups Tuscan kale, finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place pomegranate seeds in a glass baking sheet and roast until softened and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
Toss kale, chopped pistachios, wild rice and pomegranate together.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, shallot, maple syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss the dressing with the salad and massage until wilted. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Sautéed Green Beans & Cherry Tomatoes
Here’s a simple sauté that is well suited for a special meal and versatile enough for your everyday table.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- ½ cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green beans and cook, stirring often, until seared in spots, 2 to 3 minutes. Add water, cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes for tender-crisp or 6 minutes for tender.
Push the beans to the side; add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add tomatoes, stir everything together and cook until the tomatoes begin to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, salt and pepper.
Yield: 4 servings
Source: Eating Well