Author: Joanna, Woman’s Center for Wellness Pre/Postnatal Fitness Specialist
Each year the first Wednesday in June is designated as Global Running Day. The worldwide celebration of running is intended to encourage everyone to get moving. But today’s Global Running Day celebration may look a little different for those who are currently pregnant. Here are some running tips to consider when pregnant:
- First and foremost get your doctor’s clearance to run during your pregnancy.
- Be sure you stay hydrated throughout your run.
- Run, but don’t race.
- If you are new to running, start small and don’t overdo it.
- Work on building core stability.
- Make sure you have supportive shoes and clothes.
- If you experience any pain or discomfort, stop.
While continuing a running routine while pregnant can seem impossible, it can greatly improve how you feel — physically and mentally. In fact, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) actually recommends exercising 20 t0 30 minutes a day throughout pregnancy.
So grab your running shoes, a bottle of water, and get your legs moving this Global Running Day!
For more information and how you can participate visit www.globalrunningday.org.