Heart Disease is the leading cause of death for women in the United States. Roughly 1 in every 4 women will experience a heart related disease that could possibly lead to death. With February being National Heart Month, we encourage you to show your heart a little love and do what you can to improve your overall heart health.
Exercise remains one of the best ways to keep your heart healthy. The American Heart Association® recommends 30 minutes a day five times per week of moderate activity or 25 minutes a day three times per week of vigorous activity. Examples of activities that will get your heart pumping are walking, jogging, cycling, rowing or swimming.
Here are a few ways to get your heart pumping:
- Opt for the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible.
- Get some fresh air and ride your bike around the neighborhood, LSU lakes, or the park.
- Try walking different routes through your neighborhood and incorporating a varied pace.
- Use a pedometer or fitness tracker to help keep track of your movement and activity. These devices typically help keep you motivated and remind you to get moving.
- Mix up your workouts! Go dancing or take an upbeat class at the Woman’s Center for Wellness.
For more information about healthier living and more fitness tips, click here to set up an appointment with one of our fitness specialists. Click here to find out more about Woman’s Center for Wellness.