Savor the Season with Health in Mind
Savor the season with health in mind,
Amidst good company, we’ll surely find.
Sweet treats beckon, but we’ll steer clear,
Toward healthier choices, spreading cheer.
Our nutrition team knows healthy eating plays an important role in diabetes management, so with you in mind, they have provided two nutritious vegetable side dish recipes to go alongside your turkey for National Diabetes Awareness Month.
2 tablespoons avocado oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
1 ½ pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
½ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large-rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Combine oil, garlic, pepper and salt in a large bowl; add asparagus and massage to evenly coat.
- Spread the asparagus in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Toss Parmesan, panko and walnuts together in a small bowl, sprinkle over the asparagus. Roast until the panko is golden and the asparagus is tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Fall Spinach Salad
12 cups baby spinach
1 cup shredded carrots
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
Salt and pepper to taste
1 small red apple, diced
¼ cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Toss spinach and carrots in a large serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add vinegar and maple syrup; bring to a boil. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Immediately pour the dressing over the spinach and cucumbers. Toss and sprinkle with apple and pecans. Serve immediately.