Let’s face it, no one really enjoys getting a mammogram, but it’s something we all have to do to make sure we stay healthy. Studies have proven that women who catch breast cancer early are far more likely to survive, making a mammogram your first line of defense.
Still, it’s not the worst thing in the world to do. When you think about it, there are many things that are far more cringeworthy than getting your annual screening, and here are just a few:
- Going to the DMV. If you’re lucky, you only have to wait a few hours, especially if you pull number W18 and they’re only serving A35. You might just want to take a second day off of work. Luckily, a screening mammogram only takes 20 to 30 minutes.
- Finding your old glamour shots. Bonus points if you wore the two-fer…one jacket for two people, that is. The beauty of a mammogram is that only you and your doctor see these images, and rather than coming back to haunt you years later, they can add years to your life by helping detect cancer early.
- Getting caught in a mid-day rainstorm without a change of clothes. Wet jeans. Enough said. Right? Luckily, thanks to the free valet service at Woman’s, weather is not an issue when arriving for your mammogram.
- Ending a phone call with your boss saying, “love you.” It’s no easy task keeping up with all the phone calls, emails and texts you get daily. You’re busy. You’re distracted. One minute you’re talking to your mom on the phone, the next minute you’re talking to your boss or even a total stranger, and you reflexively sign off with a “I’ll see you at work tomorrow, love you, bye!” <insert cringe here> You don’t have to feel ashamed to say, “I love you,” to your mammo tech, she’s helping you reduce your risk of breast cancer!
- Sending a text or email about someone to that same someone. While we’re on the topic of cringeworthy communication, what could be worse? Maybe it’s the universe’s friendly reminder to always be nice! You know who is always nice? The friendly staff in our Imaging Department, ready and willing to help you with your mammography needs.
- Waving at someone you don’t know. She looked SOOO familiar! Oh wait, you only “know” her from Facebook. Awk-ward! Have no fear, when you schedule you annual mammogram at Woman’s you’ll get to know our staff and reduce the chances of breast cancer and awkward waves.
So, there you go. Six things that hurt to think about…and a getting mammogram wasn’t one of them!
Schedule your mammogram at Woman’s today by calling 225-215-7981. Not in the Baton Rouge area? Not a problem, our Mobile Mammography Coach travels around the state and surrounding areas. Click here to see when the coach will be in a location near you!